Thursday, July 11, 2013

WIP it! WIP it good!

We went off on vacation, and this is what I started:


The bag is an altered version of Vendulka's Rainbow Purse.  I didn't have sport weight, wanted to use up some scrap yarn, and had printed the pattern out in too-small font instead of copying it to my Kindle Fire HD - so when I couldn't read it, I looked at the photos and improvised.  It's done except for the ties to close it - and I haven't decided whether to make an i-cord or dig through my ribbon box upstairs.  Weaving in all those ends - especially in the mesh parts where I had to join additional yarn once or twice - was a PAIN. I think I'd finish more of my crochet projects if I didn't have to weave in all those ends!

I had planned to line it but realized I would lose all the lovely stretchiness if I did, so it is going to be my new WIP bag to tote around to appointments and such.  Worsted weight scraps from the "ought to make more grannies" bag, about 2 oz total according to my postage scale.

The stripey thing is going to be a hook and scissors case, since I realized that hooks and scissors would fall right through the holes in the bag.  Perhaps I should just give the bag to one of my nieces, but then I'd have to make more so they could each have one, and while I love the bag I'm ready to move on to something new.

I stalled out on No-Name Girl when I couldn't find my buttonhole foot for my sewing machine and had to order a new one.  Oh, how I miss being able to just hop in the car and drive myself to the fabric store or  Walmart!  The foot has arrived, so I can get back to work on her overalls and get her dressed decently again... and then I need to decide what to do about this mess:


This is the stack of dolls I started about 8 years ago - about the time Dad died and I fell into the first of an epic series of depressive episodes.  You can see they're threatening to drown No-Name Girl... They just need clothes, and haircuts.  The MerGrrrl needs some embroidery and a hanger.  But I look at them and just feel "meh".  I'm not happy with the faces on the bigger raggedies.  I'm not happy with the face on the elf-girl, and the way her head flops unless I put a chopstick up her butt.  The only one I feel even remotely interested in working on is the MerGrrrl.  Even though I want to make crayola-colored raggedies, I don't want to finish THESE.

*sigh*

I think it's the association my mind has made between the dolls and the loss and depression.  I wonder if I shouldn't just pack them up - along with the clothes already cut out for them - and send them off to someone else who will see them as just a fun way to pass a few hours.  Finish No-Name Girl (and finally NAME her!), and then make a clean start with projects that will make me happy.


1 comment:

  1. So, just call them done! No one else envision them as you do so they will be loved just as they are. Just Howl Coyote Woman....

    ReplyDelete